Oregonlive.com video: Unboxing an emergency preparedness kit
This week make sure you have the following items in your stay kit:
- Garbage bags, plastic ties, and moist towelettes for personal sanitation
- Any tools you may need to turn off your water or gas
- Family activities – games, puzzles, or other items to make you and your family more comfortable if the electricity is out for an extended period of time.
- Extra supply of medications – work with your doctor and insurance to see if you can get an extra month’s supply for your kit. If your insurance will not allow the extra purchase your doctor may be able to give you samples.
- Food, at least a 72-hour supply per person of non-perishable food (NOTE: You can build your supply over time. Each trip you take to the grocery store is an opportunity to add a couple cans to your kit. And be sure to put a can opener in your kit.)