Being ready for a disaster is more than storing water and supplies. You also need to safeguard your finances and important papers.
This week scan the following documents and save them to a flash drive to keep in your go-kit:
- Proof of insurance (home, health, and vehicle)
- Birth certificates
- Marriage records
- Wills or powers-of-attorney
- Savings and checking information
- Credit Card customer service information (if you need to cancel a card but do not have the card it is good to keep in a safe place)
What do you know about your insurance?
- Ask your insurance provider:
- What types of disasters are covered in your plan? Do you have coverage for fires, earthquakes, floods?
- Create a list of your valuables along with photos for documentation. Focus your energy on high value items and continue working on your list as you find time.